fortress
Belogradchik Fortress
Romans established a fortified post here between the 1st and 3rd centuries CE to watch the route from Ratiaria.

About this place
Romans established a fortified post here between the 1st and 3rd centuries CE to watch the route from Ratiaria. Tsar Ivan Sratsimir expanded and strengthened the fortress during his 1356–1396 reign. After the Ottoman conquest in 1396, the site was rebuilt and continued to serve as a military stronghold; its last military use was during the Serbo-Bulgarian War of 1885. Natural rock walls are integrated into three fortified courtyards covering about 10,210 square metres. The fortress is about 1.5 km from central Belogradchik and has road access, but entry arrangements, parking availability and guide service should be confirmed locally. Recheck the linked official sources shortly before visiting because access, schedules, tours and road conditions can change.
Access information
- The fortress is about 1.5 km from central Belogradchik and has road access, but entry arrangements, parking availability and guide service should be confirmed locally.
- Expect steep stone stairs, uneven surfaces and exposed heights; step-free access to the upper fortress should not be assumed.
- Do not rely on undated published hours or fees; check with the official Belogradchik Tourist Information Centre.
Location
43.62333, 22.67722. Coordinates are for orientation, not parking or turn-by-turn navigation.
Sources and freshness
Editorial research by Bulgaria Unfolded. Last checked . Reconfirm changing access details before departure.